Monday, August 31, 2009

They want to keep you scared, that's all...

In one of the first posts I wrote on this blog, I shared my attitude when it comes to irresponsible overuse of antibiotics. I have the same healthy scepticism when it comes to all the vaccines that are developed against every other virus that engages itself in human pathology.

The hype right now is of course the swine flu, which is exactly just that - an influenza - and even though it is a relatively aggressive one, most hospitalizations and deaths have been of persons that also had underlying conditions such as asthma, diabetes, obesity, heart disease, or a weakened immune system. In other than that healthy persons, the signs of infection with swine flu have been similar to other forms of influenza, including fever, coughing, headaches, pain in the muscles or joints, sore throat, chills, fatigue and a runny nose. For all these people to vaccinate themselves, is to do their immune systems, as well as the human immune system on a meta level, a huge bear's favour.

In an article in SvD (in Swedish), the cell-biologist Ann-Cathrin Engwall criticises the intention to mass-vaccinate the Swedish population against the swine flu, by thoroughly explaining the virus/host biological system, as well as all the complications that might follow upon such an action as this vaccination. Even though a vaccine is a mimic of a real virus infection, and is meant to boost the immune system, a vaccine is never as effective as the real deal, and in the case of the swine flu the vaccine only gives a "protection" for six to nine months. Here we can draw a clear parallel to antibiotics abuse, where the humans as a result will become less tolerant to infections, while the virus evolves into a more aggressive form.

The human life style has during the last century become more and more "clean". The scientific discoveries of bacteria and viruses as pathological factors, as well as the discovery of penicillin to cure bacterial infections and vaccines to keep diseases away, have dramatically improved our ability to stay healthy, no doubt. I would neither deny the fact that some vaccines have succeeded to extinguish serious diseases, as well as that there are real indications for using antibiotics. However, it is now time for humanity to climb up one step on the evolutionary ladder and try to look upon ourselves as the natural organisms we actually are, and to have some faith in that. Instead we create a more and more clean environment and protect ourselves from the "dangerous" micro-organisms by using anti-bacterial products, hermetically closing up our homes and frantically clean ourselves and our children. In the meantime kids grow up with more and more severe allergies, while new and more aggressive diseases appear. There must be something wrong with this approach, because logically we should become healthier and stronger, since we remove the antagonists - or maybe not..?

When I was a kid I ate gravel and was dirty most of the time, just as a kid should be. I was never sick either. My generation did not get the MMR vaccine, against measles, mumps and rubella and therefore I had the measles as a kid, but not the other two diseases. I was only one year old when I had the measles and my mother has later told me about how dotted I was and how much it itched, but it was soon over. In a developed country like Sweden, measles almost never ended up causing any fatal complications, however, these days all Swedish kids get this vaccine even though there have been reports of complications following the vaccination.

What I am requesting is a more sensible approach to disease and their preventions. We are after all created with a natural immune system that when exercised properly keeps us tolerant against more than the media and medical companies want to admit. Don't forget that this is also an economical, as well as political issue...

2 comments:

TinTin said...

In most ways I agree - mainly to the mass hysteria over whatever flu is rampant or at least spreading wach year. The common flu kills a lot of people every year and that's really just too bad. So like you, I don not believe in mass vaccination against the flu. However, people with weakened immune system, the very young and the very old should get it, as I believe they do every year. It doesn't affect the populations immunity against viral diseases but the cost of treating these weak bodies are high.

Where I differ, it's over the epidemic diseases such as MMR and polio - successfully eradicated and at a loss for nobody - as well as wooping cough and TB. Tetanus and Hep B is pretty handy too, I have to say. I didn't get MMR eother, but got all three of them - my immune system is excellent, but 2 friends children got brain damage from measles and here in the UK, its becoming a problem.

So my 2 cents - there should be a distinction between the flu and other epidemic diseases, even if they in some cases are equally "harmless.
Thanks for a nice blogg.

Jojo said...

Hi Tintin! Of course I agree that there can be good reasons to immunise yourself against the flu if you are in a high-risk group. What I oppose specifically is a mass-immunisation of healthy and strong people.

I would never argue about diseases like polio, tetanus or wooping caugh. However, with MMR I am still ambivalent. I think nature has a purpose with what we call the "child diseases". Common for the majority of these diseases is that contracting the disease gives a life-long immunity, since these viruses are not particularly variable, and therefore they will not easily mutate to avoid the immune system, in contrast to the very rapidly evolving flu viruses. This is on one hand an argument that speaks for immunising against the slow viruses, but I am still sceptic to the long-run quality of an artificial immunisation, compared to a natural one. I have an idea that having the real disease not only immunises against that specific virus, but it also triggers and strengthens the general immune system, which I don't think an artificial immunisation does.

Then I completely comprehend the aspect that humanity have developed science to use it and this experimenting with nature is part of that evolution - for good and bad. However, nature will get the last word. No doubt!