Thursday, August 27, 2009

Four HUGE paws... Yes, a puppy!

The kids mum has a 12 weeks old German Shepherd puppy boy and today we brought him for a play in the park, with the kids and Goshen. I had the clicker and treats with me and worked with Goshen on the heeling and she is doing very well, but of course it was harder to focus when kids (including one adult kid) was playing around her, as well as a puppy. I also made Bossy, the pup, acquainted with the clicker, and in spite of all the distractions, as well as a somewhat jealous Goshen, he made some really nice progress on both come and sit, and it was the first time! It is really different to work with a small puppy, compared to an adult dog, since the pups are completely open in the mind and without too much preconceptions. I would never say that "you cannot teach old dogs to sit", but even if Goshen is a very obedient dog, the perfection were totally lost and she was used to mostly mind her own business. It therefore takes me a lot of patience and consistency to convince her that I am the "meatball" I want her to think that I am when we are working.

But Bossy! I guess that I am a little bit in love - no wonder! - and I wish that I could get the chance to work some more with him. I know that mummy does not have too much time anyway for him, and at the moment I have all the time in the world, so... Give me a session a day and you would see wonders!

No comments: