Friday, June 19, 2009

Happy Midsummer eve to all pagans...

After having left the kids to school vs kindergarten, me and Yoram started the morning off with a few laps over in the pool. Sun was rising on the clear blue sky and it was still merely equal to the best of the best Swedish summer days in temperature. I don't think there are much better ways to start a morning. The latest project Yoram has is to make me into a swimmer. He says that I have the body of a swimmer, although I still swim more like a dog than anything close to human. If I get a proper pair of swimmer's goggles maybe we can start talking.

Sunflower on a field in Beit She'an valley

Later on we went for a drive down Beit She'an valley, close to Jordan river, North from the West Bank border. Over there it is hot as in Grannies oven, already now in mid June, and you reluctantly step out from the cooling AC in the car. In August it is like all the hot air in Israel is accumulating right here... However, the scenery is something out of the ordinary and there are many amazing hiking paths on the hill sides for fit hikers and while driving past them we planned some future trips, but rather later in the fall when the weather is more allowing.

Beit She'an valley, with the "BMW field", seen from Mount Gilboa

I thought I would make a Swedish midsummer wreath to put on my head for tomorrows Swede gathering, but it does not seem like the flowers that I have seen in the valley behind our house felt the same way. It might be that the increasing temperature during the last few days finally ended flower season because this afternoon when I took Goshen for a flower hunt I ended up with something that will remind more of the crown of thorns Jesus wore, than a colourful Swedish flower bomb, but who am I to complain. In Sweden it is 15 degrees and a very unpredictable sky and that is something I don't miss in any kind of way. I hardly remember how a cloud looks like! However, I guess I will be reminded of that when we go to Sweden for two weeks in a months time...

No comments: