Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Finding the real daily routines

I can tell that my work with the Hebrew before I arrived is paying off! Even though I haven't had anyone to speak to, I have built quite a vocabulary. Now I just have to start building settings and filling the gaps. My Hebrew teacher is, as I said before, a prominent teacher who has been (or still are, I am not sure) a supervisor for the Educational Ministry in the Northern District of Israel. Today was my regular class, and even though I am not really where the other students are, who has been studying the whole spring semester, I am following pretty good. I have no idea what I proved during my first lesson last week, since I did not say that much, but after the class my teacher told me to join another group she has on Monday evenings, where most of the students have been living in Israel for a year or more. They read without niqqud (vowel signs) of course, which I still very much depend on, and they discuss news and present events in a very free manner. I am far from speaking like them, but it is extremely fruitful to listen too, since the language is still very articulate and slow and continuously corrected and discussed. That is also, I guess, what my teacher thought would benefit me in a nice way. I just need to buy a decent dictionary with a good grammar section, so I am not always dependent on internet to check up language questions.

I will visit Anati later today and stay until it is time for aikido tonight. I need to get out of the house a bit and also talk to someone else than Yoram. This first week has been quite intense. I have been quite emotional while adjusting, more than I expected, and Yoram has been stressed over his test, so we have pretty much been climbing on top of each other one spoonful too much. Now the test is over and Yoram is also back working (in Tel Aviv), which means that I will take a hike with him a day now and then and spend the day there. I have some people I want to meet and some things I want to check out, plus spend some hours on the beach of course.

Now it is time to go out and brush Goshen. Yoram did it also this morning, but we do it at every walk, to get it over with as soon as possible. Then I might eat some late lunch, sprinkled with Shepherd wool...

By the way, I am living in the 4th most dangerous country in the world, according to the
Global Peace Index. Even Sudan and Congo are considered safer. Yeah, right! They can take their anti-Israeli lobby activity and shove it up somewhere where the sun does not shine...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I knew an Alsatian once who developed terrible eczema - had to be controlled with high doses of Cortisone ... hmmm

Jojo said...

Yeah, that is exactly what I want to avoid. These dogs are of course bred to pieces, like many other pure breeds, and to be honest I would never take an Alsatian if I were about to get a new puppy. I would most likely not get a pure-bred dog at all...