Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Amazing flow...

If anywhere in the world, Israel is the place where contacts and networking is what renders you the VIP entrance card to wherever you want to go and now that also happened to me. One day Yoram told me that he recalled that a daddy from his sons school had a brother who worked at some experimental farm close by, so we decided to check it up. It turns out that the Israeli Agricultural Research Organisation has an experimental farm merely a few kilometres from our home and we smoothly arranged getting in contact with the head of the facilities, through the back door. I sent her a mail with my CV yesterday and she will happily meet me in two weeks time when she will be back from a visit abroad. My background is certainly appropriate for their projects and I also find their research quite fascinating. I am also very confident that my record is appealing to whomever gets it in their hands. I passed everything with honour grades and I have collected some excellent recommendation letters so I know that I make a good impression.

All-in-all, it is slightly too good to be true and I still keep my emotions down a bit until I have actually met her and have a better feel of the possibilities. The bottom line is that I commuted 1.5 hours door-to-door almost every day for 6 years during my studies in Copenhagen and finding an opening this close to my home could be a dream coming true. Up until now, I have felt a slight reluctancy to start looking for projects for the mere reason that most of the big institutes are situated on a fair commuting distance, but now I feel that my hunger for brain work is still there and that is a comforting feeling. Not only is it close to home, it is a smaller facility, which is also something that is very appealing for me, after having spent 6 years in a huge institute. Let us see what might come out of it, and please cross your fingers for me...

No comments: