Sunday, May 10, 2009

Primal fear and the healing aiki...

Today I signed the papers, together with my tenant, to rent my apartment in Malmö for the coming period. This put me in a state of excitement mingled with terror. I consider myself being a laid-back person, but in this moment of realisation all the primal instincts bloomed, and the innocent animal that rather preserve things as they are showed its face. All the same, reason won, and now I am overjoyed by the fact that in 16 days I will be reunited with my man. The first period will also be nothing more than a vacation, since I am not allowed to work before I have a working permit. We will apply for what is called a partner visa, which includes a working permit, but most likely that is not something we will do until we get back from the visit to Sweden in July. Not that I object, since 6 years of full time studies creates a certain urge to just be lazy for a while, or at least think about things other than biological systems and DNA sequences.


Things like aikido. The number of times I have tied the hakama on during the last few months can easily be counted. I needed to bury myself to perform, and I also saw the phase as a good possibility to let some over-worked old injuries heal properly. Now I am healthy, but in a bad shape. That will change dramatically once I get back to Israel, where I have a boot camp waiting for me of both frequent power walks in the marvellous surroundings of Tivon, but above all lots of aikido. We will practice both with the Tivon group, but also on our own on a few mats at home, as well as paying visits to our friends in Tel Aviv. But that is only the beginning. The ways that the principles of aikido can be extended is almost mind-blowing and the healing power of the human touch is endless. What better place to extend this blessing than in the Israel/Palestine conflict? It is too soon to share the details on this matter, but prepare for some interesting stories about border-crossing initiatives.

No comments: