Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Flash of tahina

I calculated that I have consumed approximately 4 kg of raw tahina since I came back from Israel on the 1st of February. How many kg of hummous, I can only dream of. I have started every day with a pita with hummous, tahina and parsley, and of course coffee! Clearly an addiction started there and soon I will be back in the epicentre of the tahina/hummous belt again. I tend to make my own hummous when I have the time, but with the amounts I now realised that I was going to consume and the limited time I would have, writing thesis and all, I found a ready-made one that actually tasted OK. Time flew and a few week ago I caught myself thinking the incredibly stupid thought that I would miss that Swedish ready-made hummous when I go to Israel... Duh..? If there is something that corresponds to the counter-event of "flash of genious", that was clearly what I experienced at that moment. That proved to me that I have spent enough time away from Israel and it is time to return.

Six years ago I broke up from another home and since then I have stored some boxes of stuff at my parents place. During the years I have picked up things now and then, but never sorted out what was left or how much. Now I need moving boxes and I raided the basement. One hour later I had reduced five boxes to one, because almost all of them were half full. One box contained merely one top and a scarf. That's what I call space economy! I filled one sack with clothes that will go to charity and now I have four empty boxes with me home tomorrow and first project next week will be a raid in my attic storage with the same purpose.

I feel much better about leaving the apartment and look forward to packing and clearing it up. Now the critical moment of realisation (signing papers) is over and the limbic system has realised that there is no way out and has settled with trusting the cortex. It is a privilege to have human abilities. Too bad many people still let the limbic system rule the show...

2 comments:

Svensk chekchouka said...

shalom jojo,
thanks for putting me in your blog list. excellent choice you made, living in Israel is GREAT!

Svensk Chekchouka

Jojo said...

Toda raba!

I read your blog with interest for a while before I started my own and it is lovely to have someone in somewhat the same situation to weigh your experiences against!

Lehitraot!