Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Writing and stuff

Today I got inspiration for some Passover cleaning and hence took care of the fridge and the freezer. Since I came back from Sweden I have also reconnected to my Hebrew book and I feel very motivated in my studies. Inspiration to write has been more sparse and I think that I might be in a phase of reinventing myself as a writer and to find a new approach for my stories.

Well, come on! It is just a blog! Yes, but that does not mean that I want it to sink in to an abyss of private anecdotes on how Barak licked his balls in the morning or what shape of pasta the kids ate. That is not sustainable if I want to keep you all visiting my blog. The other day I had a nice conversation with my very wise friend Anna, and her reflection of me was that I, pretty much like herself, very easily accepted the changes that my emigration has involved. Many people who move to a new and different environment will stay in a state of constantly comparing things to how they were "back home" and this will to an extent make the new ways seem more odd and difficult to get used to. I tend to absorb a new experience as a blank sheet and that makes me digest things without much awe. The disadvantage, from a blogging-perspective, is that I rarely see things as peculiarities worth passing on to my friends at home - even though things often are very different from things at home. But this is of course just my own theory. Since I also got fed up with debating the conflict, there is suddenly not so much left to write about. Hence, my writing has to find a new and fresh angle.

On Tuesday we have an appointment at Misrad Hapnim (Ministry of Interior), to apply for a more permanent visa, with a working permit. Things have moved slow, for several reasons, but finally all is set. I have all the documents from Sweden, like birth certificate and excerpt from the criminal registry, all with apostille stamps, and Yoram's divorce from his ex has gone through the family court. This is a mile stone that will open up for a whole range of new possibilities and I look forward to this important step in the integration process. However, it is only a working permit, and of course I will have to do the work myself (and find it), but at least I am allowed. After a qualifying period of a few months, I will also be included in the health insurance system, which enables us to start thinking in terms of family planning. No, the two already existing menaces have not discouraged me from getting my own offspring. On the contrary, I am all up for the challenge!

No comments: