Sunday, March 7, 2010

Indisposed male

Why do some men think that they are going to die just because they have a sore throat or are coughing up some mucous? Yoram has been sounding like an old-school harvesting machine for a few days. Nothing serious. When I get the common cold of the season it always give me a very irritating and persistent cough. However, I would never even consider visiting a doctor unless I am coughing up green elephants and have way over 39 degrees of fever for more than three-four days. My man does not have a fever at all. He went to work this morning, feeling "a little weak", and when I talked to him later on the phone I asked about the colour of his mucous, upon which he answered green. There is an old myth that says that green mucous means bacterial infection, but the truth is rather that your body is in the process of fighting the infection, i.e. the body is well on its way to conquer the infection all on its own, just as it should be. As I told him this, he suddenly remembered that due to his colour-blindness he could not judge the colour of his mucous at all... Eh?

Later on in the afternoon he called me from the clinic where he was under investigation. As expected he has a virus infection and the doctor was wise enough to not prescribe any antibiotics. Instead Yoram got to inhale Ventolin and he also came home with a Ventolin inhaler. As if it was necessary. In a day or so, he will be better and the inhaler will just collect dust in the medicine cupboard. When he came home I had made a chicken soup with red beets, garlic and loads of other super-foods, and to that I had him drink hot water with lemon juice, some honey and Echinacea drops. Drugs are not the best cure, nutrients are.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

the way to go......vad i hundan för skriver man ut ventoline för? din man är väl frisk som en nötkärna förutom den pågående förkylningen.....nåja läkarvetenskapen är mystiskt....här hade han inte ens fått komma till en doktor!

Svensk chekchouka said...

asgarv- har han franska släktingar?
Jag tror faktiskt att fransmännen är det folket som gâr mest till doktorn!
Hoppas att han blir frisk snart!

Jojo said...

Inget franskt blod i honom att skylla på... Han är nog egentligen frisk redan, förutom lite leftover slem som ska ut. I alla fall när han kom hem gladeligen med ett par dagars sjukskrivning så såg han genast piggare och rosigare ut. I och för sig blir det ju skönt att ha en dag hemma tillsammans i morgon om inte annat... ;)