Saturday, November 21, 2009

A small step...

Spaghetti Bolognese - Normal kids favourite

This Shabbat afternoon we drove to Karmiel to eat lunch with Yoram's mother, something we do almost every Shabbat when we have the kids. Karmiel is situated on the Northern edge of the Lower Galilee, and the climb up to Karmiel, to about 330 m above sea level, is a breath-taking ride. Every time we go there I am thinking that I would like to show you, but an image could never catch the scenery in an honourable way. See this as a prodding to come and visit.

We made Spaghetti Bolognese. I have never previously met any child that does not like Spaghetti Bolognese, until I came to the Shanir family. Until now we never tried serving it. Yoram simply told me that they won't eat, but today, for some reason, we were obviously ready for the new challenge, and to my surprise Yoram stayed firm not to make any substitute to the meat sauce for the kids. Gal promptly refused, but Ziv actually ate, after some serious encouragement from me, Yoram and Grandmother. In the end he actually took big spoons of the sauce, and hallelujah, he liked it! (Duh!) There were meat, carrots, pepper and tomatoes in it, all things he normally eat, so there was nothing to argue about. But... even the union pieces went down and then we had a big party of cheering and hugging and kissing him in reward. Gal only ate his dry spaghetti, and according to our preconditions, there were no dessert for him when the rest of us enjoyed it. The consistency lasted until we were supposed to leave, when Grandmother stuck a piece of chocolate to each kid. Yoram looked at me in resignation, while I thought to myself "If he was my kid..."

The sunset over Haifa bay on the way down was amazing. Another thing that cannot be caught on camera. The sun is huge and so much more majestic than further up North on the globe. This is were I belong.

No comments: