Tuesday, November 3, 2009

OK:d for another 3 months

Today I went to Misrad Hapnim (Ministry of Interior) to extend my tourist visa (B2) for another three months. We have been completely busy lately with work, guests, trips and life in general, and of course we procrastinated this issue almost to its expiring date. Yesterday evening we worked intensely to acquire all necessary documents. In this case, I was merely going to extend a tourist visa, but still we filled out forms, wrote letters, copied ID's and printed pictures. To be quite honest, we were quite nervous this morning as Yoram drove me to Haifa. He could not join me either, since he had important meetings and this added to the tension, and this could also have been avoided with less procrastination. I entered the building through rigourous security procedures and found the right office. Normally I think you need to make an appointment also for a tourist visa extension, but that was of course another thing we had neglected. Luckily everything went fine. The lady was grumpy, as should be, but I think that I basically made her resign under the big pile of documents I handed over to her.

I also picked up some information on what documents are needed for a more permanent visa. To not make it too easy this information was only available in Hebrew. Yesterday I tried to call, but the automatic message with choices you have to make was only in Hebrew. The official website is also only in Hebrew. It is like taking a new kid at swimming school and throw him in to the deep water on the first day. Somewhat the wrong order of things.

In February I am going to visit Sweden and then I am going to acquire all the necessary documents for either a working permit visa (B1) or a partner visa (A5); like birth and marital status certificate, and excerpt from the criminal registry, both with apostille stamps.. What category of visa I will get, I cannot know. Different people I have talked to, tell different stories. In some places they just choose for you without asking, and others have applied specifically. No matter what, in addition to the legal documents, both visas require tonnes of proof of our relationship; pictures, letters, tickets, explanations, account excerpts, etc... As much as you can possible achieve. I guess, that if I start already now, I will make the next Misrad Hapnim lady drown in papers. At least I will not let her tell me that I lack something when I get there. But as far as I am told, she can destroy my day anyway, if she so pleases. Damn if you do, damn if you don't...

2 comments:

Karin said...

Good luck with the bureaucracy! Overwhelming them with papers is the right thing to do, a taste of their own medicine... ;)

I never really had any problems with Misrad Hapnim myself but I have a friend who's husband had to sign a paper saying that he was aware that his family and friends might drop their contacts with him since he was marrying a non-jew. This was of course at the same time as they were handing in letters from family and friends saying how happy they were about the relationship...

The interview you have to do when renewing the visa is fun - the first year we answered perfectly on all questions and one of the photos were an ultrasound picture of our baby-to-be. Last time we behaved more like the married couple we actually are - neither of us remembered what I got as a birthday gift so I did the only right thing, demanding a new gift as soon as my husband got back into the room!

Jojo said...

Thanks! In some strange way it now feels like the "real" visa application in a few months will be less dramatic, since I have already been there once. Extending a tourist visa is like a test-run for the proper one! ;) Next time I will even have Yoram with me and now I think most of my fears are gone...