Saturday, October 10, 2009

Four days of aikido revelations is over

There. Four days of intense Seki seminar is over, and my impression have exceeded my expectations, I have to admit! I am sitting here now on the sofa with a glass of well-tempered Tishbi wine, while Yoram is sweeping the floor, and I am contemplating the practices I have had with different people. Here in Israel it is pretty common that you choose a partner and stay with this person during the whole class, just like in Hombu dojo in Japan. This of course has both pros and cons. It adds a moment of strategic planning before the class starts, unless you want to end up with someone less comfortable to train with. However, when you are paired up with a partner you have a good chemistry with, it allows a deep penetration of the aikido techniques when you don't have to tune in all over again with a new partner after every technique. Seki has a minimal agenda when it comes to the number of techniques you will be presented with during the seminar. He delivers the basics, clear as crystal, and he returns to the same combinations of attack and aikido technique over and over again. This allows for a fine tuning that was quite effective. I improved many details during these days. I found more clarity in the techniques, but above all I improved my centre, ground and posture.

I paired up a lot with Yoram of course, but since we train together 4-5 days a week as it is, I tried to limit that and get together with other friends I enjoy, but don't see that often. Mostly Omer. We had a morning routine, first class of the day together, but then it also became some afternoon class. We are killing each other softly and always stay on the line, showing gaps and pushing boundaries, but with respect, sensibility and tonnes of playfulness. This chemistry is not growing on trees and something I am most grateful for and cherish highly. He is a person with qualities enough to enter my "book", so here goes Omer! Now you also entered my blog, after entering my life. ;)

Goshen has finished her first big aikido seminar, of many to come, and I think she deserves at least 1st dan after these days. From now on, she is not only Tivon Aikido mascot, but most part of Israeli aikido mascot. Even Seki petted her good morning when we arrived the last few days, and everybody was constantly talking and playing with her. Not only did she get a new life - now she is also filled with aiki...

2 comments:

Assi said...

...Goshen would probably perform better in her Shodan test than some of the people who were tested yesterday... :p

Jojo said...

Hallelujah for that, Assi! She would even do a better sandan!