Monday, October 11, 2010

Great breakfast

My second batch of goat-milk yoghurt turned out even better than the first one. The first one was inoculated with standardised cow-milk yoghurt, while the second one was inoculated with the leftovers from the first batch of my own. That is also how it will continue from now on. Before one batch is finished, we get new milk and set up a new batch. In that way, the same yoghurt culture can live on forever. I realise that keeping it as long as possible will be something I take a little pride in.

After one day inoculating in a warm waterbath and then two days in the fridge, the yoghurt I poured up for breakfast today was almost too thick to exit the bottle, with a full and rich acidity. As far as I have understood it is more difficult to get goat-milk yoghurt to thicken, but I do not seem to have a problem with that at all.

I put fresh pomegranate seeds, linseeds and pecan nuts in my yoghurt today. The pecan nuts are from the 2009 harvest, and I just realised that we need to finish them off to leave room for the 2010 harvest that is coming up in a months time. Nuts are really an amazing food. The shelf life of nuts with the shells remaining intact are almost eternal, and the nuts inside are small bombs of nutrients. One of natures great inventions!

No comments: