Friday, October 22, 2010

Fish fingers

I miss the Swedish fish fingers. Of course I prefer buying fresh fish and prepare it myself, but that is somewhat an acquired taste for many kids. At least for kids who hardly ever got fish in any shape. Since I know how important the fish oil is, with its omega-3 fatty acids, I am doing my best to get the kids to eat at least some fish, in some shape. They eat canned tuna, but considering how lean the tuna meat it, there is no way that tuna can cover the required intake of omega-3. Salmon, Mackerel and Sardines would have been swell to get them to eat, but I can only dream of that. The white fish in the fish fingers is not that oily, but whatever it better than nothing.

Crispy breading and white fish filet

Then over to the Israeli fish fingers. The interior of these fish fingers mainly contain soy meal and a minimal amount of fish, merely for flavour. Then what's the point? They hardly taste fish either. At least the kids eat them. After buying the fingers for a while, I tried with some larger fish schnitzels with sesame seeds on the breading and they actually taste more fish, but still do not consist of fish alone. Even the cheapest Swedish fish fingers contain around 50% fish, including the breading. The nicest ones are even made from whole pieces of filet. How small the amount is in the Israeli ones, I don't even want to think about.

The Original... ;)

2 comments:

TinTin said...

You should be careful with the amount of tuna you and the kids - and Yoram - eat. The mercury levels are very high! Have you tried to make fishcakes? Most kids like them, even if they don't particularly like fish and you make them with either salmon (tinned is fine) or any fish you want. Proportions are about 50% fish and 50% potatos (I use sweetpotato as well, or even butterbeans!), egg, squeeze of lemon juice, a little bit of anchovy for sharpness and parsley... salt and pepper and a tablespoon of mayo (really!) MAke sure all ingredients/batter is really cold b4 making small flat patties, dip in matzo meal with sesame seed and shallowfry until golden brown in whatever oil you prefer to use.

Jojo said...

They don't get tuna every day, but mabe a few times a week. Your fish cakes sound absolutely delicious and I have already thought of that idea myself, since I love fish cakes, but I am afraid that I can only dream of getting them to try those.

You see, these kids are not regular "picky eaters". They are severe cases, really! Today the small one refused the whole lunch (fish schnitzel, red sweet pepper, green peas and puree from regular potatoes) only because it involved puree. It needs to be mentioned that he previously have rejected 50/50 potatoes/sweet potatoes puree with the argument that he only likes white puree. The fish schnitzel he also previously praised. So, it is all a nonsense game, but I choose not to make any fuss about it. Tonight me and the big one will have pancakes, while the small one is without. That was the deal he accepted for not eating his lunch. When he DOES eat, I am more encouraging, praising and rewarding than his parents are both together.

Tomorrow his mother is back from her holiday and we are back in the swamp of inconsistencies. I am crumbling... I would have needed two more weeks to straighten this up, but on the other hand, I am glad that this week is over.

/The evil step mum ;)