Thursday, August 26, 2010

Phoney license

Now I am well established in the stable in Sde Yaakov, and I will keep on going there to ride their horses. However, after seeing my riding skills, I was asked by both the owner and the instructor if I have an instructor's license. Of course I have none. I am not even an official resident yet (but in a month I will be). Besides, in Sweden it is not necessary, at least not when you are instructing adults.

I started to investigate this kind of license and discovered a corrupt system that is built on money and not competence. Several private "academies" (like this one) offer instructor education's that are certified by the Israeli Sports Ministry and accepted by the insurance establishment. They learn about security and first aid, as well as some methodology and didactics, which most likely enables them to keep students safe around the horses. However, this is not where the shoe hurts. These institutions accept students that never sat on a horse before. In 300 hours training you can go from a complete novice, to teaching other people how to ride. Any one who is an experienced horse rider understands that this is impossible if you want to maintain a high quality. For this you have to pay around 10,000 ILS (20,000 SEK)!

Here I come, with 30 years of experience from various horse disciplines, and I am not allowed to teach even adults. I would say that the Israeli horse-riding instructor license is a big fraud that dupes eager students into believing that they will learn from an experienced rider. Instead, most of these newly-baked instructors can teach beginners to hold on to a horse in all gaits, but that's it. And that is not riding, as far as I am concerned. It is just travelling on a horse, which is something completely different. Truth is that it takes years and years to develop your own skills enough so you can actually work a horse in a correct way, and even more years before you can channel this knowledge into other riders.

Anyway, I will not spend 10,000 ILS on studying on a level where I do not belong, even though it would give me a license. I will keep on sharing my knowledge and assistance with anyone who desires it. License or not.

No comments: