Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Dangerous heat wave

It is damn hot right now! Hot even with Israeli measures. Yoram's running group meets at 5.30 in the morning, three days a week, and run for an hour or so, sometimes more. Normally Yoram brings at least Barak, and also Goshen if they have decided for a lighter run. Yesterday evening he said that he was thinking of bringing both dogs today, since it would be a quite light run. I advised him to leave Goshen at home. This morning he took only Barak and left, while I was still sleeping. At 7.30 he woke me up. "Baby, you need to help me with the dog. After the run he could not stand, and I had to wait for 15 minutes before I could get him into the car. We were pouring water all over him. Now I am late for work and need to shower and get ready." I went down below the house and Barak was laying like a wet sponge on the floor. His facial expression reminded more of that of a Bloodhound than a German Shepherd. Yoram took off to work and I was left pampering the exhausted dog. He drank too much water immediately after the run, so he had puked it all up, and he was also pooping basically water. I started to give him water in small doses, and on a regular basis I forced him up on his legs to go out on the grass to pee and pooh. After a few hours he had dried enough to get a good brush and come inside, and then after sleeping for a few hours he was like a brand new nudnik. For the evening meal, I have wet the food and added some extra minerals, and too my satisfaction, he is roaming around the kitchen as usual. The dog is OK. I do not even want to think about what could have been if he had brought Goshen too...

No comments: