Monday, May 31, 2010

Aftermath...

I have experienced my first crisis in Israel. Then I do not primarily mean an inner crisis, but instead the kind of crisis that rocks the world when the Israeli Defence Forces take some kind of action, which the rest of the world objects to. Yesterday morning as I awoke, Yoram told me on the phone that I should probably read the news since something dramatic had happened on the "Ship to Gaza" convoy, something about dead people, and the initial shock was like waking up into a nightmare.

I started reading, and during the morning hours, number of casualties varied in the different media sources, and everything was still very unsure and preliminary. However, pretty soon it became clear that the IDF soldiers had been met with violence as they boarded the Turkish boat, which had resulted in a complete tumult and unfortunate death-shootings. When I looked into the coverage in the international (Swedish in particular) media, it became painfully obvious to me how angled it was. Nothing about the instigators on the boat, but merely blame on Israel, in very tough words. Friends, who I talked to on Facebook, and who normally can keep a pretty balanced and non-biased attitude, wanted nothing to do with my comments or information. All doors were slammed in my face. At the same time I was sitting here trying to be balanced, with valid criticism over how the IDF choose to handle the convoy. There is no doubt in my mind that the soldiers did what they had to do to defend their lives when they finally came down on the boat, but I am very critical to boarding the boat in night-time and on international waters in the first place. Why not just incapacitate the boat and tow it to Ashdod? And how can the best intelligence in the world underestimate the intentions of a group of people who allegedly has connections to extreme Islamist organisations? And how could the "Ship to Gaza"-delegations from Western Europe, like the Swedish group, so blindly ignore the fact that they had anything but merely non-violent peace activists among them? The questions piled up, with no clear answers and no clear direction, and I started to realise the impact the tragedy would have, on Israel's diplomatic relations and future peace negotiations.

As the walls of my home suddenly felt too narrow, I reached out to Anna Veeder, who had already published a very good early reaction to what had happened on Newsmill (Swedish). We spent some hours ventilating things and she was briefing me on what was said on the radio and TV, and at the same time as the anti-Israeli hysteria were whipped up all around Europe, more detailed videos and testimonies were published, showing how the soldiers were seriously attacked with iron bars, axes and knives, as they boarded the ship armed with merely paint-ball guns, and pistols with live ammunition as a backup. But it was of course too late. The media frenzy was already a fact.

What happened is truly a tragedy, human lives are always precious, and I do not claim that the IDF handled the situation perfectly, but things are more complex than that, and it all needs to be investigated further. I neither defend the siege. I find it pretty obvious that the siege is neither effective in preventing Islamist radicalisation, nor stopping terror-attacks from Gaza on Israeli civilians. That is not the point. After seeing how biased the reactions are, at home in Sweden and in the rest of the Western world, I feel so sad and disillusioned. Anti-Israeli rallies are arranged all around and Facebook groups are growing, all solely blaming Israel for what happened. People, friends and acquaintances, blindly join, without making an opinion of their own by retrieving more information. No one wants to know the truth anymore. Or are they just lazy and convenient? Is there really a hidden agenda to keep Israel as the scapegoat of the world? In any way, I think that you all should be ashamed of yourselves, for taking this distorted propaganda as the only truth. Ashamed!

Anna Veeder wrote today on her blog (free translation by me):

At the same time I find it interesting that some Swedish commentators argue "well, of course the people on the boat got angry when the soldiers were hauled down, and therefore launched at them with iron bars, that is understandable". I can only speak for myself, but if I were to be confronted with armed combat soldiers at four o'clock in the morning on a boat at sea, then I would mostly stay darn passive. Not to say crawled up in a corner somewhere. You need to be pretty driven to take on a bunch of soldiers and have power and motivation to throw one of them in the sea and try to take their weapons. If we are speaking about responsibility, I feel that they clearly failed in keeping the principle of non-violence, at least on the Turkish ship, and here do also the activists and organisers share a responsibility. Because no one had claimed that it was a suicide mission, right?

I finish off with some special dispatches from MEMRI. And then some visuals:

15 comments:

Erik Zaadi said...

Hi Jojo.

My name's Erik, and I've been following your blog for quite some time now.

I moved to Israel when I was 14 (from Sweden), and I've found your blog a great place to get swedish thoughts about things I experience down here.

Your last post really touched something that's been bothering me for so long, the total inaccurate illusion people abroad have regarding the situation down here in Israel.

Regardless of the side I take or my personal opinions, the injustice of corrupting the truth of the reality is just wrong.

It really saddens me that people see only what's pushed in the media.

Thanks for yet another great post.

Erik

Jojo said...

Thanks for your comment, Erik. This phenomenon is something that people do not discover unless they spend time in Israel. Unfortunately, too many people are already too convinced to even give that option even a thought...

TinTin said...

I understand and agree with what you say. There is no room for unbiased investigations, it's all "Shame on Israel - support SHip to Gaza" - well, what if you want to support both?
I may be lazy or chicken, but I rarely bother to get into those kids of FB-comment discussions, as there is nobody particularily interested in hearing the other side.
I also am amazed by how incredibly stupid it was to board the ship at night - even if initial overtures had been rebuffed - regardless almost of what intelligence the troups had on who or what was onboard. Surely they too must know, that it may not be quite worth the advantage of a surprise take over, for the kind of press they get. ISrael still have some allies but preciously few with power and really need to reign in their natural bullyness.

Mattias said...

Mm... Sen var det den här lilla detaljen med internationellt vatten, Jojo... Vad hade soldaterna ombord att göra? Har inte de ombordvarande rätt till självförsvar, de blev ju de facto överfallna? Om de nu verkligen var utrustade med airguns - vilket närmast låter som ett skämt - hade folket ombord någon kunskap om det eller någon anledning och tro annat än att de var tungt beväpnade, med tanke på att de firades ner från en arméhelikopter?

Oavsett var man etiskt och folkrättsligt och sådär ställer sig till det här så gissar jag att tron på Israels militära förmåga har fått sig en ordentlig rispa. Varför väntade de inte tills de hade rätt att borda? Varför bordade de alls? Handlingssättet verkar präglat av desperation. Min tolkning.

Mattias said...

Förlåt, ditt inlägg var ju på engelska, jag borde ha svarat på det språket. Sorry.

Jojo said...

No worries, Mattias. There is not much to say, since you ask me questions that I ask myself in the post. An act in desperation is not a bad interpretation. No doubt, is this government both weak and under a lot of pressure.

In contrast to you, though, I do believe that the result would have been somewhat the same in spite of on what waters they were. I am convinced that there were martyr mentality on that particular boat, and to provoke violence was one of their goals.

Mattias said...

I am afraid it makes a big difference, the detail that it happened on international water, because Israel really cannot complain about having being attacked. Well, it depends on what level. Obviously a peace armada should have acted with no violence, even during attack. I agree that there is a shadow hanging over Ship to Gaza, but unfortunately it does not compare with the Israeli mistake.

Well, it seems as we look upon it more or less the same way. Let us hope something good may come out of it in the long run! I think it might.

A-K Roth said...

Mattias, I will try to sum up, på ett ungefär, what I have read in this matter of a country at war boarding an approaching ship in international waters. Rockets have been sent even this week from Gaza into Israel. Terrorists were stopped at the border this week as well. There is apparently a claim from Israeli jurists that in a state of war a country can stop a ship in international waters if there is suspicion that it may be bringing supplies that can be used in war. But - it would be best to google up the justification from the source, of course.

There are other considerations or speculations that bloggers have brought out, among them Turkey's role, information that Turkey plans to send ships to aid Hamas once the blockade was broken by these activists. The quartet Iran-Syria-hezbollah-hamas are said to want to bring out another war/crisis. Was Israel desperate to put a stop to Turkey's ambition, was it trying to ward off a graver danger? If the sea blockade is broken, what more can be brought in? Perhaps the Israeli government was just acting arrogant? But who else were arrogant?

Arrogant Swedish so-called peaceful activists see fit to be in the company of jihadists. They ignored the presence of IHH and their ties to Hamas. Militants were filmed chanting antisemitic slogans and singing songs glorifying martyrdom. Peaceful? None of the Swedish sponsors have taken responsibility for being in a convoy with jihadists. But - for that matter, they were in the company of antisemitic chanters in Malmö as well and it didn't matter to them. It's what they do, I guess. Makes me very sad. And now I read that Henning Mankell thinks what happened is good for the cause. Relates to what he said about Israel "sitting on six million aces". Sociopath!

A-K Roth

A-K Roth said...

P.S. Mattias:

Came across this in Mathias Sundins blogg: http://sundinmathias.blogspot.com/2010/06/nu-ska-det-bli-partipolitik-av-det.html

Commentator signature Leif has found Geneva Convention rules for stopping ships:

..." "du tror väl inte att de använde samma paintballgevär och ammunition som man springer med i skogen och skjuter varandra med?"
japp det var vad dom hade.

Först ylar man, innan man vet vad som hände, att Israel är skurken, och när sen fakta kommer på bordet kan man inte acceptera det.
Vad som är mystiskt är att inte ens rutinerade politiker kan Genèvekonventionen.
Det här är tre punkter ur San Remo Manual on International Law Applicable, del av konventionen.
-----
67. Merchant vessels flying the flag of neutral States may not be attacked unless they:
(a) are believed on reasonable grounds to be carrying contraband or breaching a blockade, and after prior warning they intentionally and clearly refuse to stop, or intentionally and clearly resist visit, search or capture;
och
98. Merchant vessels believed on reasonable grounds to be breaching a blockade may be captured. Merchant vessels which, after prior warning, clearly resist capture may be attack
146. Neutral merchant vessels are subject to capture outside neutral waters if they are engaged in any of the activities referred to in paragraph 67 or if it is determined as a result of visit and search or by other means, that they:
----
Vad man blir när man fördömmer Israels rätt till blockad är nyttiga idioter till Iran, men det är förmodligen för avancerat för ett inlägg.
02 juni, 2010 06:00 ..."

He said it!

Mattias said...

Ok, might be. And might not. I suppose UN is right: there is a need for an investigation. Israel should have an interest in that too, unless they have something to hide.

Anyway the discussion doesn´t gain from calling each others, or anyone, names. I, as a rule, interprets this this kind of statements the other way round. It´s a general rule that anything we say about others has mainly to do with ourselves. Isn´t that the very root of this conflict, as of most conflicts?

So... if you accuse Mankell for being a psychopat... What does it tell me about yourselve?

Honour your words!

Jojo said...

San Remo Manual on International Law Applicable to Armed Conflicts at Sea, 12 June 1994

http://www.icrc.org/ihl.nsf/385ec082b509e76c41256739003e636d/7694fe2016f347e1c125641f002d49ce

A-K Roth said...

Mattias, I didn't write psychopath but sociopath. And I wasn't talking about you but about Henning Mankell, who is a real namecaller when it comes to israelis or Israel and who gets very near racism in some statements. Don't hit the ceiling, gå inte i taket!

Thinking that human lives lost are good for a cause - what Mankell alluded to - is in my view sociopathic. Sociopathas use people as objects. This sounds a little like the culture of martyrdom. He may have been projecting his way of thinking when he made the tasteles statement about "6 million aces" being something "good" for the Jewish state as well. The man belongs in fiction land!

A-K Roth

Mattias said...

Hit the ceiling...? I did not. So it must have been you...

I am just trying to stress how this conflict is nourished. From projections.

Psycopath, sociopath... same same... You still do not say anything of value calling him that, you are just expressing your frustration. It´s not productive.

I think time has come to be that. Productive. Don´t you?

A-K Roth said...

O.K.Mattias, I'll rephrase: It is unbecoming of Henning Mankell to look at human lives in that callous and politically driven way. I find it hard to set credence to someone with that view. If this had been an unknown Jedediah Jonsson from Butsjöböle it wouldn't bother me. But Henning Mankell is given credence and publicity because of his status as celebrity and popular fiction writer. He has lent his name, if you will, to this project which was initiated by a group, IHH, with ties to Hamas and Al-Qaida, both. I therefore feel justified in citicizing his words and actions. It doesn't sit well with you. I respect that. Of course I am resentful; it's obviuos. I fess up! Gott så?

Mattias said...

Yes, now I found it more plausible. I do not know much about HM, but I think you might be right.