Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Say cheese!

It took me almost a year before Yoram revealed any Israel-made cheese that has some culinary qualities. Most cheeses in the supermarkets are just pale, boring and tasteless. I am sure that there are hip delicacies-stores in Tel Aviv that import French cheese and sell it for a gizillion shekels, but that was not really the point. I want local! However, I never lost the faith.

On Sunday Yoram took the kids to pick up his mother in Karmiel and drive to Lake Kinneret to visit the grandmother in the nursing home. Daniel had left the same morning and I kindly refused sitting jammed in a car all day with two impatient kids and a constantly talking mother-in-law, and instead stayed at home tinkering around in the house. Yoram called me on their way home and mentioned that he had brought me something and as they arrived I got two pieces of cheese from Ein Camonim, a small goat farm situated close to Lake Kinneret. We have been talking about this place, and planned to go there, and now you might think that I regretted not joining this excursion, but hell no. I want to go there alone with Yoram, sit down and eat their buffet before spending all the money I do not have on their amazing goat cheeses. Yoram brought me one sooted, soft-ripened cheese and one hard cheese with cummin and both of them completely blow my mind. I almost finished them already, and now I need patience. We cannot go there until next weekend, since the kids are here this weekend, however, I do not think that the pieces of cheese will last for so long.

4 comments:

TinTin said...

Finding cheese in a new country takes a long time. I think Swedes are more obsessed with cheese than most and possibly more than smågodis and coffee...

Svensk chekchouka said...

Det finns inte ord nog att beskriva hur mycket jag saknar mina franska ostbrickor. Get ost är gott, men Brie, Camambert och Reblechon...

Unknown said...

Jag förstår dig ost är nödvändigt!!! i morgon skall det syndas med möllans ostar :) önskar att du kunde vara med och frossa.
kram

Jojo said...

Jag har fortfarande lite kvar av ostarna. Jag tar liksom en mindre bit varje gång, med förhoppningen att den ska vara förevigt i enlighet med halveringsprincipen!